This webpage is intended to provide visitors with information and resources to support the Florida Social Studies Next Generation Sunshine State Standards and the Florida Department of Education’s Social Studies Education Program.
Social Studies Frequently Asked Questions and Answers (PDF) - This document is intended to assist readers in locating information related to the State of Florida’s Social Studies Education Program.
Black History Month Student Contests and Educator Awards
- The theme is “A Celebration of Innovative African-American Leaders.”
- Florida Students in grades K-3 have a chance to win a cash prize by submitting artwork.
- Florida students in grades 4-12 can earn a four-year Florida Prepaid Scholarship through the essay contest.
- Deadline for submissions is March 2, 2018. For forms and more information, visit www.floridablackhistory.com.
Teaching and Learning Social Studies
- CPALMS: State of Florida’s official source for standards information and course descriptions.
- End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments: Here you will find information such as test item specifications, sample questions, assessment results, and publications.
- Florida Students: Inside this website you will find resources to support learning in language arts, mathematics, science, middle grades civics, and high school U.S. History.
Initiatives and Programs
- Florida State Statute 683.1455 - American Founders’ Month
- Florida State Statute 1003.4156 - General requirements for middle grades promotion
- Florida State Statute 1003.42 - Required instruction
- Florida State Statute 1003.421 - Recitation of the Declaration of Independence
- Florida State Statute 1003.4282 - Requirements for a standard high school diploma
- Florida State Statute 1003.44 - Patriotic programs; rules
- Florida State Statute 1003.45 - Permitting study of the Bible and religion; permitting brief meditation period
- Florida State Statute 1008.22 - Student assessment program for public schools
Department of Education Resources
- 2016-2017 Course Directory
- End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments
- Florida PK-20 Education Information Portal (EDStats)
- Toolkits: Civics and United States History
- Florida Association of Social Studies Supervisors
- Florida Council for History Education
- Florida Council For The Social Studies
- Florida Council on Economic Education
- Florida Humanities Council
- National Council for History Education
- National Council For The Social Studies
Social Studies Education Specialist
Bureau of Standards and Instructional Support
325 West Gaines Street, Suite 424
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400