Grade Level Requirements:
- Elementary: Section 1003.455, F.S., requires 150 minutes of physical education each week for students in grades K-5. A minimum of 30 consecutive minutes is required on any day that physical education instruction is provided.
- Middle: Section 1003.455, F.S., requires one semester of physical education each year for students enrolled in grades 6-8.
- High: Section 1003.4282, F.S., includes a one credit physical education requirement with the integration of health.
Physical Education Standards
- Florida's physical education standards and benchmarks were revised in 2013 to reflect what a student should know and be able to do as the result of a quality physical education program. Florida's Standards for Physical Education were adopted by the State Board of Education in 2014. If you would like to view the standards and benchmarks please visit the CPALMS website.
- The National Standards for Physical Education
- Society of Health and Physical Educators - SHAPE America
- Presidential Youth Fitness Program
- PE Central
Physical Education Toolkit
Instructional and Professional Resources
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Team Nutrition Resources
- Comprehensive School Physical Activity Programs
- I Can Do It, You Can Do It! Program
- President's Council on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition
- Sample On-hold Wellness Messages (Word)
- Sample "Tip of the Day" Messages for Grades K-5 (Word)
- Sample "Tip of the Day" Messages for Grades 6-12 (Word)
- Palm Beach County Schools Physical Activity Lessons (Word)
- Florida's Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Resource Center
- Sunshine State Games
- Get Outdoors Florida!
- Florida High School Athletic Association (FHSAA)
Physical Education Coordinator
Assistant Director, Office of Healthy Schools
Bureau of Standards and Instructional Support
325 W. Gaines Street, Suite 444
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400