Office of Safe Schools
The Office of Safe Schools serves as a central repository for best practices, training standards and compliance oversight in all matters regarding school safety and security. Our mission is to support districts in providing a safe learning environment for students and educators.
Primary goals of the office: Prevention, Intervention, and Emergency Preparedness Planning
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act
In the wake of the tragic shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School that took the lives of 17 Florida students and educators, the Florida Legislature passed and Governor Rick Scott signed SB 7026, the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Act. This legislation outlines significant reforms to make Florida schools safer, while keeping firearms out of the hands of mentally ill and dangerous individuals.
- Creation of the Office of Safe Schools and a description of the office’s responsibilities
- Allowing sheriffs to establish a Coach Aaron Feis Guardian Program
- The FortifyFL mobile suspicious activity reporting tool
- Establishment of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission
- New requirements for mental health services and training
- Requirements for a safe-school officer at each public school
- School safety assessments for each public school
- Appropriations of funding to address identified school safety needs
If you have any questions, please contact the Florida Department of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.