This webpage is intended to provide visitors with information and resources to support the Florida Social Studies Next Generation Sunshine State Standards and the Florida Department of Education’s Social Studies Education Program.
Social Studies Frequently Asked Questions and Answers (PDF) - This document is intended to assist readers in locating information related to the State of Florida’s Social Studies Education Program.
Teaching and Learning Social Studies
- CPALMS: State of Florida’s official source for standards information and course descriptions.
- End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments: Here you will find information such as test item specifications, sample questions, assessment results, and publications.
- Florida Students: Inside this website you will find resources to support learning in language arts, mathematics, science, middle grades civics, and high school U.S. History.
The Character Lab
- The Character Lab on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania researches and creates new ways to help all students develop character. The Character Lab provides free Playbooks that include videos, lesson plans, and worksheets that help students learn character-building strategies and beliefs. Playbooks bridge scientific research and daily classroom practice. The WOOP (Wish, Outcome, Obstacle, and Plan) Playbook helps students set and achieve goals. The Character Lab was founded by Angela Duckworth, author of Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance and the Christopher H. Browne Distinguished Professor of Psychology at the University of Pennsylvania.
- Florida State Statute 1003.42(2)(s) includes character-development curriculum in kindergarten through grade 12.
Initiatives and Programs
- Florida State Statute 683.1455 - American Founders’ Month
- Florida State Statute 1003.4156 - General requirements for middle grades promotion
- Florida State Statute 1003.42 - Required instruction
- Florida State Statute 1003.421 - Recitation of the Declaration of Independence
- Florida State Statute 1003.4282 - Requirements for a standard high school diploma
- Florida State Statute 1003.44 - Patriotic programs; rules
- Florida State Statute 1003.45 - Permitting study of the Bible and religion; permitting brief meditation period
- Florida State Statute 1008.22 - Student assessment program for public schools
Department of Education Resources
- 2016-2017 Course Directory
- End-of-Course (EOC) Assessments
- Florida PK-20 Education Information Portal (EDStats)
- User Guide: Florida PK-20 Education Information Portal (EDStats) (PDF)
- Toolkits: Civics and United States History
- Florida Association of Social Studies Supervisors
- Florida Council For The Social Studies
- Florida Council on Economic Education
- Florida Humanities Council
- National Council for History Education
- National Council For The Social Studies
Social Studies Education Specialist
Bureau of Standards and Instructional Support
325 West Gaines Street, Suite 424
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400