Just Read, Florida! offers high quality professional development opportunities for teachers, reading coaches, and principals.
- Florida Kindergarten Readiness Screener (FLKRS)
- Third Grade Portfolio District Guidance (PDF)
- Third Grade Portfolio Teacher Guidance (PDF)
State Board of Education Rules
1011.62, Florida Statutes
- State Board Rule 6A-6.053 K-12 Comprehensive Research-Based Reading Plan (PDF) Amended 2-17-15
- State Board Rule 6A-4.0163 Reading Endorsement Competencies Amended 10-25-11
- 1008.25, Florida Statutes
- Elementary Reading/Literacy Block Reboot! Presented at the 2016 FRA Conference October 21, 2016 (PDF)
Elementary Grade Levels
- The Key Sounds of English - this video models correct pronunciation of 44 phonemes and four blends of the English language and may be helpful to teachers as they work with letter-sound correlation with their students.
- K-2 Progress Monitoring Resources (PDF)
Center on InstructionThe Center on Instruction offers materials and resources on reading that help educators improve reading outcomes for students in grades K-12, prevent reading difficulties from developing in the early grades as a solution to the problem of struggling readers in middle and high school, and meet instructional challenges of diversity in students’ ability and readiness for learning to read. Here are a few examples of the resources that may be found on the Center on Instruction web site:
Extensive Reading Interventions in Grades K-3: From Research to Practice
This review, with implications for practice, examines 12 peer-reviewed research studies conducted between 1995 and 2005 on extensive (100 hours or more) reading interventions for struggling K-3 readers. This resource pertains to the following categories: Reading, Grades K-3 Special Education and Grades K-3.
Teaching All Students to Read in Elementary School: A Guide for Principals
This quick start guide for elementary school-level instructional leaders is based on scientific research on reading and reading instruction as well as on studies of successful schools and interviews with successful principals. It includes critical elements of an effective reading program in elementary school, critical tasks for principals as literacy leaders, and special considerations for reading instruction after third grade.
- Extensive Reading Interventions in Grades K-3: From Research to Practice
Differentiated Reading Instruction: Small Group Alternative Lesson Structures for All Students
This document was prepared to provide guidance to Reading First Coaches and Teachers regarding alternative lesson structures for providing small group, differentiated instruction to students in grades K-3 within Reading First schools in Florida.
Empowering Teachers is an online resource for kindergarten and first grade teachers on the building blocks of reading. Teachers will find information on how to measure the reading skills of students and use assessment results to provide differentiated instruction based on student needs. This tool will empower teachers to make sound instructional decisions to improve reading outcomes.
FCRR: Student Center Activities, Grades K-5
During 2004-2007, Just Read, Florida! funded the Florida Center for Reading Research (FCRR) to create student center activities for use in kindergarten through fifth grade classrooms. These materials have been distributed to all elementary schools in the state of Florida, and also can be accessed online. Accompanying these activities is a Teacher Resource Guide and Professional Development DVD that offers important insights on differentiated instruction and how to use the student center materials.
Literacy Essentials and Reading Network (LEaRN)
LEaRN is a website for principals, reading coaches, and classroom teachers to access scientifically based reading instruction being implemented in a classroom through video clippings. Educators will also have the opportunity to view actual live commentary by reading experts. LEaRN focuses on the practice of teaching reading, on information and visible teaching examples that are directly applicable to classroom activities. The objective of LEaRN is to provide users with a comprehensive, applied tool that provides scientifically research-based information and best practices on reading instruction.
The Source: A Curriculum Guide for Reading Mentors (PDF)
Whether reading mentors or classroom teachers, this curriculum is a great guide that includes an overview of current reading research and weekly lessons for intermediate struggling readers.
Intensive Intervention Resources
- Teaching All Students to Read: Practices from Reading First Schools With Strong Intervention Outcomes
Secondary Grade Levels
- Information about Career And Technical Education Reading (CATER) (PDF)
- Reading Requirements for Students with Disabilities (PDF)
- Comprehension Instructional Sequence brochure (PDF)
- Literacy League: Podcasts Now Available
Other Professional Development Resources
- Information on becoming a certified teacher in Florida
- International Literacy Association
- Florida Association for Media in Education
- Florida Reading Association (FRA)
- Secondary Reading Council of Florida
- Florida Council of Teachers of English (FCTE)
- Florida Literacy Coaches Association
- Florida Book Awards
Studies & Research
- National Reading Panel
- Reviewing over 100,000 studies on reading, The National Reading Panel (NRP) found five components essential to a child's learning to read: phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension.
- Florida Center for Reading Research The Florida Center for Reading Research (FCRR) disseminates information about research-based practices related to reading instruction and assessment for children in pre-school through 12th grade. They also conduct basic research on reading, reading growth, reading assessment, and reading instruction that will contribute to the scientific knowledge of reading.