New Reading Endorsement
The Just Read, Florida! office spearheaded the effort to revise the Reading Endorsement to incorporate new research conducted since the National Reading Panel Report. Dr. Barbara Foorman, Dr. Timothy Shanahan, and Dr. Janice Dole served as framers and reviewers for this project. These experts delineated the content of new research and provided the framework for a team of writers representative of various locations in Florida and populations impacted by the Reading Endorsement (ESE, ELL, higher education, etc.). The writers collaborated to develop the new endorsement which was approved by the State Board of Education in September 2011.
The text of the new endorsement is available at: New Reading Endorsement (PDF)
Florida District Add-on Program
Complete an approved district add-on Reading Endorsement program, obtain the district application form from your school district certification office, and submit the complete application to the district certification office with a $75.00 processing fee. New Reading Endorsement competencies and indicators were approved by the State Board of Education on September 20, 2011. These new competencies were implemented in August 2012 to comply with State Board Rule 6A-4.0163. Districts have updated their add-on plans to describe the professional development that is offered for the five Reading Endorsement competencies:
- Competency 1: Foundations of Reading Instruction
- Competency 2: Application of Research-Based Instructional Practices
- Competency 3: Foundations of Assessment
- Competency 4: Foundations and Applications of Differentiated Instruction
- Competency 5: Demonstration of Accomplishment (Culminating Practicum)
Note: If you are adding the Reading Endorsement by completion of a district add-on program, please contact your local school district certification office for directions and assistance. Do not mail an application to the Department of Education’s certification office.
Coursework in State Board Rule 6A-4.0292
Apply directly to the Bureau of Educator Certification of the Florida Department of Education, pay the $75.00 processing fee, and submit official transcript/s showing completion of the reading courses outlined in State Board Rule 6A-4.0292.
You may apply online with a credit card payment. Official transcripts previously submitted to the Bureau of Educator Certification do not have to be resubmitted. Official transcripts not previously submitted should be mailed to the following address:
Bureau of Educator Certification Florida Department of Education
Room 201 Turlington Building
325 West Gaines Street
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400
When your application is processed, if the official transcripts on file show completion of all required courses, the Bureau of Educator Certification will reissue your Florida Educator Certificate with the addition of the Reading Endorsement. If documentation of all courses is not on file, the Bureau will prepare an Official Statement of Status of Eligibility outlining course deficiencies. The Statement is valid for three years. If official transcripts of the missing courses are received before the Statement expires, the Bureau will reissue your Florida Educator Certificate with the addition of the Reading Endorsement.
For option 2 State Board Rule requires completion of fifteen (15) semester hours in reading coursework based upon scientifically based reading research with a focus on both the prevention and remediation of reading difficulties to include:
- 6 semester hours in understanding reading as a process of student engagement in both fluent decoding of words and construction of meaning;
- 3 semester hours in the administration and interpretation of instructional assessments to include screening, diagnosis, and progress monitoring with purposes of prevention, identification, and remediation of reading difficulties;
- 3 semester hours in understanding how to prescribe, differentiate instruction, and utilize appropriate strategies and materials based upon scientifically based reading research in order to address the prevention, identification, and remediation of reading difficulties in order to increase reading performance; and
- 3 semester hours in a supervised practicum to obtain practical experience in increasing the reading performance of a student(s) with the prescription and utilization of appropriate strategies and materials based upon scientifically based reading research to address the prevention, identification, and remediation of reading difficulties.
If you do not hold a valid Florida Educator Certificate, or you hold a Reading certificate from another state, please visit the Bureau of Educator Certification’s homepage for detailed information on the application process and paths to certification including reciprocity with other states.
325 West Gaines Street, Suite 514 · Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400 · Phone: 850-245-0503 · Fax: 850-245-9530