The Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act
The Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act was signed into law on July 31, 2018. The Act amends the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education (Perkins IV) Act of 2006 and reauthorizes Perkins for six years. The law takes effect July 1, 2019.
- Florida’s Perkins V Transition Year Plan (PDF) (as submitted to the U.S. Department of Education on May 24, 2019)
- Perkins V Text
- Perkins V Redline (Advance CTE) (PDF)
- Summary and Analysis of Perkins V (Advance CTE) (PDF)
- Advance CTE Perkins Resources Page
- Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE) Perkins V Webinar
- Association for Career & Technical Education (ACTE) Perkins V Resources Page
- Perkins V Kickoff Webinar 2018 (PDF)
The Comprehensive Local Needs Assessment
One of the major changes in Perkins V is the requirement for local agencies to conduct a Comprehensive Local Needs Assessment (CLNA). The CLNA will serve as the basis for local Perkins application development and future decision making. Agencies are expected to conduct their first CLNA in the 2019-20 program year, with the results incorporated in their 2020-21 application. Thereafter, the CLNA is to be conducted at a minimum every two years.
National resources on the Comprehensive Local Needs Assessment
A Guide for State Leaders: Maximizing Perkins V’s Comprehensive Local Needs Assessment & Local Application to Drive Quality and Equity in CTE (from Advance CTE): https://cte.careertech.org/sites/default/files/Maximizing_Perkins_Local_Needs_Assessment_March2019.pdf
A Guide for Local Leaders: Maximizing Perkins V's Comprehensive Local Needs Assessment & Local Application to Drive Equality in CTE (from the Association for Career and Technical Education – ACTE): https://cte.careertech.org/sites/default/files/Local_Tool_Needs_Assessment_FINAL_3.18.2019.pdf
Requirements for the Comprehensive Local Needs Assessment are defined in Section 134, subsection C, of the Perkins Act: https://cte.careertech.org/sites/default/files/PerkinsV_September2018.pdf