Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)
DefinitionAutism Spectrum Disorder is defined to be a range of pervasive developmental disorders that adversely affects a student's functioning and results in the need for specially designed instruction and related services. Autism Spectrum Disorder is characterized by an uneven developmental profile and a pattern of qualitative impairments in social interaction, communication, and the presence of restricted repetitive, and/or stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, or activities. These characteristics may manifest in a variety of combinations and range from mild to severe. Autism Spectrum Disorder may include Autistic Disorder, Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified, Asperger’s Disorder, or other related pervasive developmental disorders. The corresponding definition is found in State Board of Education Rule 6A-6.03023, F.A.C.
State Laws and Regulations
The rules referenced below are specific to ASD. Please refer to Florida Statutes and State Board of Education Rules (Red book) - Hyperlinked Index for a complete listing of laws and regulations applicable to exceptional student education.
- 6A-6.03023, F.A.C.: Exceptional Student Education Eligibility for Students With Autism Spectrum Disorder.
- 6A-6.401796, F.A.C. - Specialization Requirements for Endorsement in Autism Spectrum Disorders - Academic Class.
- Section 627.6686, Florida Statutes - Steven A. Geller Autism Coverage Act
Department of Education Resources
- Administrator’s Guide to Educational Programming for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Autism Classroom Observation Instrument (PDF)
- Autism Classroom Observation Instrument Tutorial
- Autism Spectrum Disorders: An Overview
- A Blueprint for Tier 3 Implementation: A Results-Driven System for Supporting Students with Serious Problem Behaviors (PDF)
- Autism Endorsement Tuition Support Program
- Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (CARD):
- Florida Diagnostic and Learning Resources System (FDLRS)
- Autism Navigator
- Preventing Seclusion and Restraint for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder: User Registration
- The Partnership for Effective Programs for Students with Autism (PEPSA)
- Autism Internet Modules (AIM)
- Autism Distance Education Parent Training (ADEPT)
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Autism Information
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC): Autism
- IDEA Partnership Autism Spectrum Disorder Collection
- National Autism Center: National Standards Project
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH): Autism Spectrum Disorders
- National Center for Children with Disabilities (NICHCY): Autism Spectrum Disorders