Vandalism (VAN) - Level III
Definition:The intentional destruction, damage, or defacement of public or private/personal property without consent of the owner or the person having custody or control of it.
- Student or other defacing school with graffiti.
- Student or other keying or scratching a car in a campus parking lot.
- Student or other trashing a classroom resulting in damages of $1,000 dollars or more.
- Student(s) damaging a hotel room ($1,000 or more) on a school-sponsored trip.
- Student or other accidentally damaging chemistry lab equipment.
- Student or other causing damages under $1,000.
The amount of damage must be $1,000 or more to be reported in SESIR, including time and labor.
It is important for schools to document lower-level vandalism incidents on their local student discipline referral form.
Why is it important to have local codes for vandalism that do not meet the SESIR threshold/definition?
- If the district does not have local codes for lower-level incidents that do not meet the SESIR threshold for vandalism, such incidents will be coded as SESIR incidents and the district will be over-reporting in these areas.
- 806.13 Criminal mischief*
325 West Gaines Street, Room 1302
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-0400