Florida Teacher of the Year Program
- 2018 Teacher of the Year Nomination Packet (PDF)
- Florida Teachers of the Year (PDF)
- Meet Our 2017 Florida Teacher of the Year
- Florida Teacher of the Year Finalists
- Florida District Teachers of the Year
This program recognizes and honors the contributions of outstanding classroom teachers who have demonstrated a superior capacity to inspire a love of learning in students of all backgrounds and abilities. In accordance with Florida Statutes section 1012.77, the bureau coordinates the nomination and selection of the Florida Teacher of the Year and the Finalists. The bureau also coordinates recognition events, the scheduling of presentations and workshops by the Teacher of the Year in his/her service as the Christa McAuliffe Ambassador for Education and the planning and coordination of the annual Florida Teacher Roundtable, a symposium for all nominees.
Nomination packets are sent to district superintendents at the beginning of each school year. Selection processes may differ by district. Most districts accept a nomination from individual schools within their district and then require the candidates to undergo a more strenuous selection process. Only one teacher may be nominated by a district to the state and only the superintendent may submit the nomination. All full-time, public school classroom teachers, grades pre-K through 12, adult education teachers, postsecondary vocational/technical education teachers, guidance counselors, media specialists, and department chairpersons who actively engage in classroom teaching are eligible for nomination. School personnel whose major responsibilities are administrative or supervisory are ineligible.
The Florida Teacher of the Year also serves as the Christa McAuliffe Ambassador for Education. In this role, s/he serves as a goodwill ambassador representing the Department of Education and teachers throughout the state. The Teacher of the Year may conduct workshops, address fellow teachers, parents, and business and community leaders at conferences and meetings, and talk to student groups about careers in education. The ambassador is on sabbatical leave from his/her school district during this year of service. The Department reimburses the district for the teacher's salary and benefits.
To schedule an event for the Florida Teacher of the Year, please contact Kelly Zunkiewicz at Kelly.Zunkiewicz@fldoe.org.
2017 Teacher of the Year Finalists
- Miami Norland Senior High School Creative Writing Teacher Surprised by being named a Teacher of the Year Finalist
- Kissimmee Elementary School Teacher is Named a Teacher of the Year Finalist
- Polk Elementary School Teacher Surprised by being named a Teacher of the Year Finalist
- Marchman Technical College Teacher Surprised by being named a Teacher of the Year Finalist
- Strike Up the Band and Celebrate! St. Johns Music/Band Teacher Named a Teacher of the Year Finalist