Florida Is Third In the Nation for Reported Human Trafficking Cases
January is Human Trafficking Awareness Month
What is Child Human Trafficking?
Human Trafficking, under both federal and Florida law, is defined as the transporting, soliciting, recruiting, harboring, providing or obtaining of another person for transport; for the purposes of forced labor, domestic servitude or sexual exploitation using force, fraud and/or coercion. Human trafficking is modern slavery.
There are approximately 30 million people enslaved throughout the world with 2.5 million located right here in the United States.
- Many of these victims are lured with false promises of financial or emotional security; instead, they are forced or coerced into commercial sex (prostitution), domestic servitude or other types of forced labor.
- Any minor under the age of 18 who is induced to perform a commercial sex act is a victim of human trafficking according to U.S. law, regardless of whether there is force, fraud or coercion. Increasingly, criminal organizations, such as gangs, are luring children from local schools into commercial sexual exploitation or trafficking.
- According to the U.S. Department of Justice, every two minutes a child is trafficked for the purpose of sexual exploitation in the United States.
How to Report
Children and adults can be victims of human trafficking. “If you see something, say something.”
- BeFree Textline Text "BeFree" (233733)
- Florida Abuse Hotline - 1.806.96.ABUSE (1.800.962.2873)
- Local Law Enforcement - 911
- National Center for Missing & Exploited Children CyberTipline
- National Human Trafficking Hotline - 1.888.373.7888
- Human Trafficking Awareness for Educators Training - National Human Trafficking Resources Center
- Human Trafficking Awareness Training - Department of Homeland Security/Blue Campaign
- Florida Department of Education (FDOE) Human Trafficking Fact Sheet for Schools (PDF)
- Florida Coalition on Human Trafficking
- Florida Department of Children and Families
- FDOE Child Human Trafficking chapter
- Florida Abolitionist
- Florida Coalition Against Human Trafficking
- National Human Trafficking Resource Center
- Polaris Project
- Sex Trafficking and LGBTQ Youth
- Statewide Council on Human Trafficking Annual Report
- Staying Safe: Tips for LGBTQ Youth
- Student Human Trafficking Awareness PSA (Hillsborough County)
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security - Blue Campaign
- Archived Presentation
- FDOE Human Trafficking Month Presentation (WMV, 3GB) - The Department of Homeland Security, Resident Agent in Charge Ralph Bradley - Recorded during Human Trafficking Awareness Month 2016