HIV/STD Prevention, Teen Pregnancy Prevention & Sexual Health Education
Our aim is to reduce instances of HIV/STD and pregnancy among our youth by providing the following:
- Technical assistance to districts regarding the provision of exemplary sexual health education in Florida schools and effective policies related to sexual health education and HIV/STD prevention.
- Training and professional development opportunities for district and school administrators, educators, school nurses, psychologists, and social workers, offered through online trainings, regional trainings, and training tracks at the Healthy Schools Summer Academy.
- Development and promotion of partnerships between state and local departments of health, school districts, and community-based organizations.
- Florida's Sexual Health Education Community Outreach Tool Kit provides information, ideas, and strategies that will assist school district staff and community members with reducing the number of teen pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) among youth and improve the health and academic success of students.
- 2013-2018 Grant from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Professional Development and Upcoming Events
- Child Human Trafficking (PDF)
- CDC’s Office of Adolescent Health: Characteristics of an Effective Health Education Curriculum
- Policies, Standards, and Guidelines (While Florida law requires abstinence be taught as one component of health education courses, it does not preclude abstinence-plus or comprehensive sexual health curricula from being implemented.)
- Definitions of Abstinence-Based, Abstinence-Only, Abstinence-Only Until Marriage, and Comprehensive Human Sexuality Programs (PDF)
- Florida's Sexual Health Education Community Outreach Tool Kit
- CDC Funded Districts in Florida
- 2013 Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS) (PDF) questionnaire
- OAH: National Resource Center for HIV/AIDS Prevention Among Adolescents
- Preventing Teen Pregnancy 2010-2015 (PDF)
- Sexual Behaviors Among Florida Public High School Students: Results from the 2013 Florida Youth Risk Behavior Survey (PDF)
- CDC Report: HIV, Other STD, and Teen Pregnancy Prevention and Florida Schools (PDF)
- CDC Report: Profiles 2012 Selected Topics - Florida Secondary Schools (PDF)
- HIV/STD and Teen Pregnancy Prevention Links
HIV/STD Prevention Education Coordinator
USF Healthy Schools Project
Office of Healthy Schools
Florida Department of Education
325 W. Gaines Street, Suite 444
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0400