Hurricane Irma Resources
Governor Rick Scott has activated the Florida Disaster Fund to support individuals who are impacted by Hurricane Irma. The Florida Disaster Fund helps provide financial support to Florida’s communities in times of disaster. To make a contribution, please visit www.FloridaDisasterFund.org or text DISASTER to 20222 to make a one-time donation of $10.
Now that Hurricane Irma has passed, the Florida Department of Education is in contact with school districts, state colleges and universities for updates and to provide the assistance they need to reopen safely. District, college and university leaders are assessing the damage caused by Hurricane Irma and sharing reopening information.
Below is a list of reopening dates. If your district or institution is not listed, it is believed to be operational. As always, students and their families are encouraged to pay close attention to information sent through their institutions' normal notification process and to heed the guidance of state and local officials.
School Reopening Dates
K-12 Public Schools
- Collier schools, at the earliest, will reopen Monday, September 25, for students and Friday, September 22, for teachers.
- Lee schools will reopen Monday, September 25.
- Monroe schools will return with staggered start dates beginning September 25. Please visit www.keysschools.schoolfusion.us for a complete listing of schools and reopening dates.
Florida Virtual School (FLVS) will provide remote access to educational resources to all Florida students who were displaced by Hurricane Irma. Additionally, FLVS will provide access to digital educational materials to help the hardest hit school districts as they work to return to normal operations.
Schools and districts interested in assistance should contact Larry Banks, Director of District and Franchise Solutions for FLVS, at 407-484-4031 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Individual students should visit www.flvs.net to begin the registration process or email email@example.com for special accommodations. Military families should reach out to Caprice Woodburn, Sr. Manager of Florida Services for FLVS, at 239-850-9366 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Irma Related Memos
The Florida Department of Education has received many questions about instructional hours in the wake of Hurricane Irma. Commissioner Stewart issued guidance to superintendents via a memorandum.
- Instructional Hours Memo (PDF)
- Application for a Reduction in the Required Instructional Hours (Word)
Testing windows for certain assessments were adjusted to provide scheduling flexibility for school districts impacted by Hurricane Irma.
- Updated - 2017-18 Assessment Schedule (PDF)
Florida College System
- Florida Keys Community College classes resume Monday, October 2. For the college’s complete re-opening schedule, please visit www.fkcc.edu/irma.
State University System
All State University System institutions have returned to normal operations. For more information about the State University System, please visit http://www.flbog.edu/universities/.
State Office Closures
State offices will continue to follow the lead of local governments. For a list of current building closures, click here.
VR Office Closures
- 2323 S. Washington Avenue, Titusville - Closed-But Reassigned
For details on open shelters throughout the state, visit http://www.floridadisaster.org/shelters/summary.aspx.
FDOE Canceled Meetings
2017 FASFEPA/ECTAC Fall Forum
Due to Hurricane Irma, the 2017 FASFEPA/ECTAC Fall Forum scheduled for next week, Wednesday, Sept. 13 through Friday, Sept. 15, 20017, has been rescheduled to Wednesday, Oct. 4 through Friday, Oct. 6, 2017.
Administrators’ Management Meeting
Administrators’ Management Meeting (AMM), St. Petersburg, Fla. – Due to the impending weather related to Hurricane Irma, the Bureau of Exceptional Education and Student Services announces the meeting scheduled for next week in St. Petersburg is postponed. More information will be sent in the near future.
Charter School Meetings
- Wednesday, September 6: Charter school authorizer accountability discussion, Mall at Millenia Community Room, Orlando
- Thursday, September 7: Charter school performance framework workgroup, Nova Southeastern University, Orlando
- Friday, September 8: FLDOE/NACSA capacity interview training for charter school sponsors, Nova Southeastern University, Orlando
- Monday, September 11: Rule Development Workshop, Forms for Charter School Applicants and Sponsors (now 10 to 11 a.m., Monday, September 18)
- Wednesday, September 13: Rule Development Workshop, Forms for Charter School Applicants and Sponsors (now 10 to 11 a.m., Wednesday, September 20)
Education Practices Commission
Education Practices Commission, Tallahassee, Fla. – Due to the impending weather related to Hurricane Irma, the Education Practices Commission announces all hearings and meetings scheduled for next week in Tampa are cancelled. Six educator discipline hearings, 1 Commission Committee meeting, and the Commission’s semi-annual Business Meeting were scheduled September 12 through 15, 2017, in Tampa, Florida. The Commission will send Notices of Cancellation via regular mail and email as well as make individual phone calls to all parties impacted by the cancellation. The Commission’s Business Office will determine a date and location to reschedule cancelled hearings after the storm has passed.
Fall 2017 EOC and Retake Windows – Postponed
- Monday, September 18–Friday, October 6: FSA ELA Writing Retake and FSA EOCs
- Monday, September 18–October 13: FSA ELA Reading Retake
- Monday, September 18–October 20: FCAT 2.0 Reading Retake, NGSSS EOCs
Financial Emergency Board Meeting
Financial Emergency Board for the School District of Jefferson County - Due to the impending weather related to Hurricane Irma, the meeting scheduled for September 14, 2017, 1:00 p.m., in Tallahassee, Florida, is postponed and will be rescheduled.
K-12 and Postsecondary Assessment Stakeholder Meetings
- Wednesday through Friday, September 6th -8th: Florida Standards Alternate Assessment Datafolio Teacher Training, Tampa. In lieu of rescheduling, training resources and additional support will be provided online. Contact Angela Nathaniel via email at Angela.Nathaniel@fldoe.org for more information.
- Tuesday and Wednesday, September 12th & 13th: Level 2 Principal Test Comps and Skills Finalization, Davie. New dates and locations to be determined.
- Monday through Wednesday, September 11th – 13th: Florida Standards Assessment Bias and Sensitivity Review, Jacksonville. Reviews will be conducted at future meetings which were previously scheduled.
- Monday through Thursday, September 11th – 14th: Florida Standards Assessment English Language Arts and Mathematics Content Item Reviews, Jacksonville. Reviews will be conducted at future meetings which were previously scheduled.
- Monday through Friday, September 11th – 15th: Florida Standards Assessment Mathematics End of Course Assessments Content Item Review, Jacksonville. Reviews will be conducted at future meetings which were previously scheduled.
- Monday through Friday, September 18th – 22nd: Florida Standards Assessment English Language Arts and Mathematics Content Item Reviews, Jacksonville. Reviews will be rescheduled.
- Monday through Tuesday, September 25th – 26th: NGSSS Science and Social Studies Bias and Sensitivity Review, Jacksonville. Reviews will be rescheduled.
- Tuesday through Friday, September 26th – 29th: NGSSS Science and Social Studies Content Item Reviews, Jacksonville. Reviews will be rescheduled.
Site Closures - Florida Teacher Certification Examinations and Florida Educational Leadership Examinations (As of 12 PM, 9/7/2017)
The testing centers listed below have announced closures in advance of Hurricane Irma. Examinees should anticipate that most sites will remain closed through Monday 9/11. As the storm passes, each test site will reopen, as able, and become available for scheduling in registration. Online registration is available 24 hours a day and appointments can be rescheduled up to 24 hours in advance by logging into your account at http://www.fl.nesinc.com.
Postsecondary Assessment-FTCE DIF/Bias Review Meeting
September 28-29, 2017
FLDOE - Tallahassee, FL
State Board of Education Meeting
The State Board of Education Meeting was changed to a Conference Call. You can find the agenda and other information on the State Board of Education page.
WIDA Formative Language Assessment Workshop
WIDA Formative Language Assessment Workshop - Due to the impending weather related to Hurricane Irma, the Bureau of Student Achievement through Language Acquisition announces the workshop scheduled for Wednesday and Thursday, September 6-7, 2017, in Palm Beach Gardens, is postponed. More information will be sent in the near future.