K-12 Public, Private & Charter Schools
As of March 30, all school districts have implemented their instructional continuity plans.
- School campuses will remain closed through May 1, 2020.
- Parents should reach out to specific school district websites for more information on their specific instructional continuity plan.
- The department has developed a robust list of free educational resources for teachers & families while they are distance learning.
- Each student with an IEP, or 504 plan, should be included in the school district’s instructional continuity plan to the same extent as all other students. This plan may include virtual instruction, as well as virtual specialized instruction and related services to the extent practicable. All areas of the student’s IEP or 504 must be considered. Any and all required evaluations, IEP meetings etc. may also be held virtually to the extent practical. If there is any type of delay, the nature and extent of the delay and a plan to move as quickly as possible to prevent further delay should be documented. IEP and 504 teams should monitor each student’s progress and determine what, if any, remediation may be needed upon return to the student’s placement.
- School districts should be prepared to extend their educational calendars through June 30, 2020, to the extent feasible and necessary.
- Commissioner Corcoran can reduce required instructional hours as necessary to accommodate for campus closures.
Assessments, Accountability and Promotion
- All remaining assessments for school readiness, voluntary prekindergarten and K-12 assessments are cancelled for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Requirements for graduation and promotion, and final course grades will be evaluated as though those assessments which were cancelled did not exist.
- K-12 school grades will not be calculated for 2019-2020 and schools in turnaround may continue their current status for 2020-2021 to avoid disruption to school leadership and operations.
- Eligibility for Florida Bright Futures scholarships shall be based on available data and results. Tests that were not available to be taken shall not be counted.