Secondary Science Webinar March – Biology & the Arts
This webpage contains information and resources related to Secondary Science Instruction. The webinar begins with a review of the 5E Lesson Model and of the middle grades and biology standards related to the cell cycle. This is followed by a review of arts integration based on the definition and lesson checklist found in Defining Arts Integration from The Kennedy Center Arts Edge. The lesson, Designing the Cell Cycle, has student groups use printmaking techniques to illustrate the cell cycle culminating in a final group presentation. Also included in the webinar is a review of supporting documents and example projects. This is a great starting point for any teacher that is interested in integrating arts with science content.
PJ Duncan, Secondary Science Specialist
Jennifer Infinger, Fine Arts Education Specialist
- Understand the relationship between middle grades and biology standards in regards to the cell cycle.
- Gain an understanding of authentic arts integration.
- Understand the printmaking process.
- Experience the flipped classroom model.
- Secondary Science Webinar March – Biology & the Arts: Designing the Cell Cycle (3/30/2017)
- Secondary Science Webinar March – Biology & the Arts Transcript (RTF)
- Biology & the Arts PowerPoint (PDF)
- Biology & the Arts accompanying documents (PDF)
- Kennedy Center ArtsEdge Arts Integration Definition