Keep Florida Learning Committee
Archived Meeting Information
November 9, 2015 - 2:15 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
September 30, 2015 & October 1, 2015
June 18 & June 19, 2015
March 27, 2015
Keep Florida Learning Committee Information
On February 24, Education Commissioner Pam Stewart announced the 11 members of the Keep Florida Learning Committee.
The following members will serve on the Keep Florida Learning Committee:
- Education Commissioner Pam Stewart
- 2015 Florida Teacher of the Year: Christie Bassett, Polk County
- Legislator: Representative Manny Díaz, Jr.
- Principal: Dr. Margaret Fahringer, Hillsborough County
- Teacher: Doris Garcia, Orange County
- Parent: Julia Hendricks, Pasco County
- School Board Member: Patty Hightower, Escambia County
- Higher Education Participant: Joe Pickens, Putnam County
- Superintendent: Dr. Owen Roberts, Alachua County
- Legislator: Senator Kelli Stargel
- Parent: Laura Zorc, Indian River County
The Keep Florida Learning Committee will review further deregulation opportunities for the school system; analyze instructional material review processes used by school boards; identify strategies to increase parental involvement; and review the implementation of the Florida Standards and the Florida Standards Assessment over the next year.
The Department of Education received more than 2,800 applications from teachers, superintendents, school board members, higher education representatives, and members of the public from around the state.
Applicants who were not appointed to one of the ten slots, along any interested Floridians, can submit comments online at http://www.fldoe.org/about-us/kflreview.stml or by phone at 1-866-507-1109. Additionally, Floridians can email the Department of Education at email@example.com. All of the committee’s meetings will be open to the public.
For a list of frequently asked questions regarding the Keep Florida Learning Committee, visit http://www.fldoe.org/about-us/KFL-FAQ.stml.